Oxford Streetis the major commercial street of Darlinghurst, running from Hyde Park, through to Taylor Square and beyond through to Paddington, Woollahra and Bondi Junction. It was a toll road in its early years with the toll gates being located near present day Glenmore Road. Oxford Street assumed its current name in 1875. In recent years it has become renowned for its annual Gay Mardi Gras. The punks replaced the hippies in the mid '70s, the gays replaced the punks, and so it goes on.
Taylor Square, is the intersection of Oxford, Flinders, Burke Streets. It is surrounded by the suburbs of Paddington, Darlinghurst, Kings Cross and Surry Hills. The historical buildings in the area, include the National Art School (East Sydney Technical College and formerly Darlinghurst Gaol), Victoria Barracks, SCEGGS, Darlinghurst Court House, Sacred Heart and St Vincents Hospital.
In the early '60s The Odeon or West's Theatre (cnr. Oxford and South Dowling Streets), was a regular meeting place for youngsters from the inner city, featuring Talent and Yo Yo championships during interval.
In the late 1960s, The Odeon was renamed the Mandala and featured rare and x-rated moves referred to as 'underground movies', some I recall are, Fellini's'8 1/2', 'Juliet of the Spirits' and 'Satyricon', and, the hilarious spoof'Fritz the Cat'.Live entertainment was presented by Tully (Sea of Joy)
'August 1969 was another important month for Tully -- Fusions premiered on ABC on August 1, and on August 17 Tully headlined a (Harry M. Miller-produced) concert at Sydney Town Hall, supported by the John Sangster Quintet and The Executives. A similar show at the Mandala Theatre was also a success ... Milesago
In the late '60s Oxford Street became akin to Haight-Ashbury with hippies wandering up and down, blues and jug band music drifting from the numerous wine bars and pubs. One could detect the scent of stained leather wafting from Frank's Cafe, Indian clothing, trinkets and paraphernalia were displayed for purchase in import stores. Anybody remember the store opposite the Mandala that sold of 'real' yoghurt with fresh chunky fruit from large containers or vats?
Darlinghurst Courthouse 2010
The Darlinghurst Court House is located on Oxford Street at Taylor Square, in the inner city suburb of Darlinghurst. This sandstone court house is still used by the New South Wales Supreme Court. The central block, designed by Mortimer Lewis, was built in 1835 in the Greek revival architectural style, with the side wings added in the 1880s. The court house was connected to the old Darlinghurst Gaol, which was located directly behind it, via underground passages. (Photo 1933 - Fairfax Archives, NLA
The roman numeral date on the portico (MDCCCLXXXVIII = 1888) is the longest roman year numeral for many years. (The year following was MDCCCLXXXIX)